How it works:
- Version 1:promoters will approach and offer you free drinks, free shows or shopping vouchers at surrounding cabaret bars.
- Version 2: girls posing as locals or tourist ask you for directions. Then, they suggest heading to a bar for drinks.
- Version 1: you will find yourself accompanied by a bevy of scantily clad girls who have drinks as well. When it’s to leave, you will find that the girls’ overpriced lady drinks are on your tab as well.
- Version 2: you may end up a victim of a spiked drink, either at the bar, or at an apartment.
Places to beware:
- Buenos Aires
What to do:
- Avoid: heading to a suggested bar together with a random stranger.
- If not, consider: does the bar seem legitimate? Are there customers? Is the stranger evasive about things? Is he/she only bringing you to a particular restaurant or bar?
- Test your new “friend”: pretend you have company by suggesting to go another place where you have friends at. Ask for prices before ordering. Take a photo together.
- If scammed: threaten to call the police, pay with a credit card but call immediately to dispute the charges. Keep a separate bank account with little cash to limit your losses if threatened.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has some pub crawls.