How it works:
- Motochorro (bikes/mopeds): riding past, with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Street, mall, shop, park, transportation hub: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Hotel, transportation hub: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- ATM, bank: they wait for cash to be withdrawn before snatching from you.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere – often in larger cities (e.g. Buenos Aires - Palermo, Recoleta, San Telmo, La Boca, Microcentro, Plaza San Martin; Rosario; Mendoza)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.