How it works:
- Opening: someone bumps and spills mustard/ketchup/chocolate milk/or even a semi-liquid that looks like bird poo onto you.
- Set-up: next, they or their accomplices will appear and help you clean up. It is just an act to pick your pockets or to distract you so someone can steal your unattended bag.
Places to beware:
- Buenos Aires: La Boca, Palermo, San Telmo, Floralis Generica, Catedral Metropolitana, Congreso, Casa Rosada, Pink Palace, Obelisco, Plaza de Mayo, Recoleta Cemetery, Plaza Alemania
What to do:
- React: push anyone who tries to help away, try to get to a safe spot quickly and when doing so, check that your valuables are intact.
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).