How it works:
- There have been cases of car break-ins, where parked rental cars with exposed valuables/bags were broken into.
Places to beware:
- Rotorua: Kuirau Park, Okere Fall
- Wellington: shopping malls
What to do:
- Park: in a paid lot with security cameras. Back into the parking lot to make opening the trunk difficult. Do not leave valuables exposed.
- Anti-theft measures: use a steering wheel lock, pedal lock, gear shift lock and leave a tracker in the car.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.