How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: Paddy’s Market Chinese massage scam.
Places to beware:
- Adelaide: Adelaide Central Market
- Brisbane: Queen Street Mall
- Cairns: Cairns Esplanade Lagoon
- Darwin: Mindil Beach
- Fremantle: Fremantle Markets
- Melbourne: National Gallery of Victoria, Federation Square, Crown Casino, St. Kilda
- Sydney: Sydney Harbour, Bondi to Coogee Beach Coastal Walk, Darling Harbour, The Rocks, Circular Quay, Paddy’s Market, Pitt Street Mall, Central Railway Station, George Street, Kings Cross
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.