How it works:
- Although Australia is not renowned for petty crime, car break-ins or smash and grabs do occur especially if you leave your valuables exposed in your car.
- In 2017, ~53,000 was stolen in Australia, which works out to about one car stolen every 10 minutes.
Places to beware:
- Victoria (cities include Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat): 29% of thefts
- New South Wales (cities include Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast): 23% of thefts
- Queensland (cities include Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast): 21% of thefts
- Western Australia (cities include Perth, Bunbury, Geraldton): 16% of thefts
What to do:
- Park: in a paid lot with security cameras. Back into the parking lot to make opening the trunk difficult. Do not leave valuables exposed.
- Anti-theft measures: use a steering wheel lock, pedal lock, gear shift lock and leave a tracker in the car.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.