How it works:
- Opening: a tout comes up to you claiming that he knows where you got your shoes. He then answers “on your feet”.
- Version 1: this is a lead in for him to then spray dirty liquid onto your shoes. Next, he will clean it up and shine your shoes with pink bathroom soap. A fee will then be demanded.
- Version 2: he could make a $5 wager with you before revealing the answer. Once he reveals the answer, he will demand the $5.
Places to beware:
- New Orleans: French Quarters, Jackson Square, Bourbon Street, Frenchmen Street, Royal Street, Canal Street / Algiers Ferry
- San Francisco: Fisherman's Wharf
What to do:
- Avoid engaging.