How it works:
- There is a bunch of people here, who are all part of the same gang. One shuffles the cards, one plays, three to five act as onlookers, and one looks out for police.
- They dealer will make it obvious where the queen is when the accomplice plays to make it seem easy.
- If you play, the scammer will hold one card in one hand and two in another. One trick (of many) is to switch the two cards to make you follow the wrong card.
- Even if you manage to pick the right card, the scammer will signal an accomplice to outbid you (only one bid is accepted), have an accomplice shout that the police is coming and everyone runs, or have an accomplice pick your pockets while you are distracted.
Places to beware:
- Chicago: subway
- Las Vegas: The Strip, Bellagio Fountains
- Los Angeles
- Miami: Miami Beach
- New Orleans
- New York City: Fifth Avenue, Washington Square Park, Broadway
- San Francisco: Fisherman’s Wharf
- Washington: Washington Square Park
What to do:
- Avoid – it’s impossible to win.