How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: mustard scam.
Places to beware:
- Austin: South Congress Avenue
- Boston: Freedom Trail, Copley Square
- Chicago: The Art Institute of Chicago, Millennium Park, Cloud Gate, Museum of Science and Industry, Wrigley Field, The Field Museum, The Magnificent Mile, Lincoln Park Zoo, Skydeck Chicago – Willis Tower, The Loop, Navy Pier, Union Station, Chicago Transit Authority – CTA, Chicago Chinatown, Chicago Chinatown
- Honolulu: Diamond Head State Monument, Nu’uanu Pali, Ala Moana Center, Kalakaua Ave, Downtown Honolulu
- Houston: The Galleria
- Las Vegas: The Strip, Bellagio Fountains, The Mob Museum, Bellagio Conservatory & Botanical Garden, Stratosphere Tower, Fremont Street Experience, Las Vegas Downtown, Las Vegas Premium Outlets – South, Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood, MGM Grand Arena, Casino at the Flamingo Las Vegas
- Los Angeles: Venice Canals Walkway, Madame Tussauds Hollywood, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Olvera Street, Venice Canals Walkway, Madame Tussauds Hollywood, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Olvera Street, Bradbury Building, Venice Beach, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Dolby Theatre, Metro Rail, Venice Beach Boardwalk, Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Beverly Center
- Miami: Metromover, Dolphin Mall, Bayside Marketplace, Miami Trolley, Bayfront Park
- New Orleans: French Quarter, Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral, Frenchmen Street, RTA – Streetcars, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, Royal Street, Lafayette Cemetery No.1, Bourbon Street
- New York City: Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, The High Line, Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Terminal, Broadway, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Washington Square Park, St. Paul’s Chapel, Union Square, 42nd Street, Century 21, Chinatown, Bloomingdale’s, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir
- Orlando: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Epcot, SeaWorld Orlando, Disney Springs, Walt Disney World Resort, Orlando International Premium Outlets, Lake Eola Park, The Florida Mall, International Drive, Lake Eola Park, The Florida Mall, Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets, The Museum of Flight, Pike Place Market
- Philadelphia: Eastern State Penitentiary, Reading Terminal Market, South Street
- San Diego: San Diego Zoo, Point Loma
- San Francisco: Alcatraz Island, Golden Gate Bridge, Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco Bay, Cable Cars, Lombard Street, Pier 39, Coit Tower, Fisherman’s Wharf, Musee Mecanique, Haight-Ashbury, Chinatown, Mission District, Historic Streetcars, North Beach, Powell and Market Cable Car Turnaround, Westfield San Francisco Centre, Union Square
- Seattle: University of Washingto, The Gum Wall
- Washington: Lincoln Memorial, National Mall, Ford’s Theatre, National Zoological Park, Union Station, The Pentagon, Capital One Arena, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro)
Places to beware:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.