How it works:
- Situation: this is also popularly known as the bird poo scam globally.
- Opening: the US version: a man eating a hot dog (a mustard tube in a bun actually) “accidentally” squirts mustard over you.
- Set-up: he will help you clean up with tissue, but is actually trying to pick your pockets or distracting you so that an accomplice can steal your unattended bag.
- New York City
What to do:
- Reject any help and quickly move to a safe spot – while moving, check that your valuables are still secure with you.
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.