How it works:
- Opening: at a crowded square, a local musician offers you a free CD of his music, claiming that you would be doing him a huge favour if you were to accept it and play it in your country.
- Set-up: if you accept the CD however, you will be asked for payment. If you refuse, the scammer will refuse to take back the CD and make a scene claiming that you have stolen it. Some even have a gang of accomplices to surround and hassle you.
Places to beware:
- Las Vegas: The Strip
- Los Angeles: Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, Venice Beach, Venice Beach Boardwalk, Hollywood Walk of Fame
- New Orleans: French Quarters
- New York City: Times Square, Broadway
What to do:
- Although there may be some legitimate sellers, if you are not really interested, decline.