How it works:
- Set-up: scammers use smuggled phones to pose as front desk personnel and call guests in the wee hours to request for credit card information:
- Version 1: claiming that the hotel’s system has crashed or an error with your card.
- Version 2: calling to verify your card details on record – he will provide the last 4 digits of your card which are obviously wrong. If you point it out, you will asked to provide all the numbers.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. Las Vegas)
What to do:
- Never provide credit card details over the phone. Check with the front desk in person.