How it works:
- Opening: a friendly local approaches and claims that he can bring you around places not found in guide books.
- Set-up: he then brings you to a restaurant or shop where he gets a commission and you will be overcharged to cover that commission. If you do not buy anything, the guide will ask for a tour guide fee.
Places to beware:
- San Juan: Old San Juan
What to do:
- Avoid unofficial tour guides as they are usually not worth the time and money. Get a licensed, reputable guide instead:
- Offline operators: ask - is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover - is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. El Yunque Rainforest, Culebra Islands Catamaran tour, Icacos Island, etc).