How it works:
- Situation: most are honest, though you may meet some bad eggs once in a while.
- Version 1: taxis here have meters but some may choose not to use it and charge you an inflated fare instead. However, note that there are flat rates between areas such as the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport to central spots like Plaza Carolina.
- Version 2: claiming to not have enough change.
Places to beware:
- San Juan (e.g. tourist attractions, airport, transportation hubs)
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Old San Juan, Casa Bacardi).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with (taxi rates compiled by puertoricodaytrips) – check online fare estimators or use taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber).
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has 2 transport options.