How it works:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Beach: stealing unattended bags/valuables from tourists who are relaxed or in the water.
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).