How it works:
- Opening: a number of scams perpetuated by rental car companies which advertise cheap rates:
- Scam 1: you are forced to buy expensive daily insurance even if you already have coverage through other channels.
- Scam 2: incurring daily, expensive toll pass fees.
- Scam 3: subject to inflated deposits which will be difficult to get back.
- Scam 4: unusual/inflated fees for sand clean-up.
Places to beware:
- San Juan
What to do:
- If it’s too cheap to be true, it generally is.
- Get a reliable rental car agency by checking online travel forums or with AutoEurope – over 60 years of industry experience.