How it works:
- You can get to Bocas del Toro from most towns in Panama by taking a bus to Almirante.
- Scam 1:
- However, the bus will drop you off at a station about 20-25 minutes from the harbor.
- A bunch of taxi drivers lay in wait to tell you it’s too far away and pressure you to take their cabs.
- Scam 2:
- Taxi drivers in cahoots with a water taxi company (Transporte Marítimo Valencia - TMV) will drop you at the port of that company, even if you had bought tickets from the other company (Taxi 25 Company).
- TMV will claim that your ticket from Taxi 25 can only be used for the trip back from Bocas del Torra to Almirante, and so you have to buy a ticket from them to get to Bocas.
Places to beware:
- Bocas del Toro: Almirante
What to do:
- If you have bought tickets with the Taxi 25 Company already, simply walk further to the port used by the Taxi 25 Company, which is nearby.