How it works:
- One notorious scammer is “Carl Baker”, who has been ripping tourists and expatriates from English speaking countries off for years.
- Although Carlos Beckles Thompson is his real name, he uses a different name each time, such as “Terry Winner”!
- Most of his victims encounter him on Friday or Saturday when conveniently, the US embassy is closed for the weekend.
- His story revolves around visiting relatives in the country, being in the US military, death in his family, etc.
- However, a rogue taxi driver drove off with his bags and official documents. Thus, he is stranded and needs assistance to tide him over until Monday morning when the embassy opens.
Places to beware:
- Panama City
What to do: