How it works:
- Fraudulent operators will charge you a high price for these tours and then claim to give you a discount if you pay in full upfront.
- Once you have paid, they disappear on the day of the tour.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. popular tours include Panama Canal tours and Gamboa monkey watching tours)
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Reputable operators: some reputable local names to consider include San Blas Adventures (industry leader of speedboat tours in the San Blas Islands), etc.
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has some popular tours (e.g. Panama City & Canal tour, Monkey Island & Indian Village tour, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.