How it works:
- Street, mall, shop, park, transportation hub: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Hotel, airport: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- Beach: where tourists are relaxed, or when they head to the water.
- Train/bus: snatching and getting out just before the doors close; stealing unattended bags/luggage in luggage compartments.
- Car: breaking into parked cars.
- ATM/bank: snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere. Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.