How it works:
- Scam 1: unofficial guides at booths with “information” signs at the carpark will lie about the length of queues, claim a guide is compulsory, or lie about the quality of their snorkeling tours to get you to sign up for an overpriced tour.
- Scam 2: unofficial parking attendants will direct you to lots then charge you an inflated parking fee.
- Scam 3: a local offers to take a photo of you with a lion cub. He takes several photos and then demands $10 for each picture while holding your camera hostage.
- Scam 4: restaurant scams.
- Scam 5: Pemex scam.
Places to beware:
- Tulum: Ruins of Tulum
What to do:
- Use the official parking lot where you have to take a ticket and pay at the kiosk in front of the plaza.
- Else, consider a guided tour. GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) has some such options, or check out this page for the best tours in Mexico.