How it works:
- Version 1: advertising low rates then forcing you to purchase additional insurance coverage which you already have.
- Version 2: adding arbitrary/hidden charges have without you realizing.
- Version 3: fining you for damages not caused by you: e.g. light scratches or dings, chipped windshield, employee swapping your tire for a spoilt one or swapping other items in your car.
Places to beware:
- Cabo San Lucas
- Puerto Vallarta
What to do:
- Rent from reputable operators, or use reputable online platforms like AutoEurope (over 60 years of industry experience).
- Inspect the vehicle thoroughly and take photos and videos.
- Dispute any transaction as early as possible with your bank if a credit card is used.