How it works:
- Version 1: unlicensed taxis which inflate the fare halfway through or at the end of a trip; or having a rigged meter.
- Version 2: very unlikely to happen to you, but there have been cases of cab drivers who rent their cabs out to armed gang members/criminals who bring you to ATMs to withdraw cash over a few days (i.e. express kidnapping).
Places to beware:
- Mexico City
- Playa del Carmen
What to do:
- Situation: some are fine and may even be cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (potential overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car or being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: get a “sitio” cab from the taxi rank.taxi number plate (starting with A or B), a proper taxi meter, a license on the right window (check if the driver looks like the photo in the license).
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, Cabify) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (leading globally) with 40+ transport options.