How it works:
- Version 1: pump is not zeroed, causing you to get less petrol than desired.
- Version 2: pumping from the other side of the pump so you cannot tell if it started from zero.
- Version 3: attendant brings brings a container while filling your car with gas - the container is where they let some gas out to.
- Version 4: attendant #1 collect money, disappears, and attendant #2 appears and asks for payment again; note swapping; swiping your credit card more than once.
- Version 5: currency switcheroo.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. Mexico City; Playa del Carmen; Ruins of Tulum; Cozumel)
What to do:
- Go to the gas stations which locals/taxi drivers go. Use small change instead of credit cards.