How it works:
- Version 1:
- Fraudulent agencies which pass themselves off as being associated with established brands (e.g. Marriott, United Airlines etc).
- They target tourists with cold calls claiming that you have won a discounted holiday package due to being a member of the company which they claim to be associated with.
- Version 2:
- There are also scam agencies which sell non-existent tours.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Reputable operators: some reputable local names to consider include ScubaTony (in Cozumel), etc.
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has some popular tours (e.g. Chichen Itza tour, Teotihuacan tour, Shrine of Guadalupe, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.
- Seeking recourse: contact Profeco – government agency that handles consumer complaints.