How it works:
- Situation: as silver is mined in Mexico, it is supposedly cheaper to buy here. However, many are fake, and some even have fake licenses as authentic silver sellers!
- Set-up: exacerbating this is that it is difficult to trust local recommendations as many get a commission and are incentivized to get you spend big. Besides silver, there are fake jewelry and artifacts sold too.
Places to beware:
- Cabo San Lucas
- Cancun: Mercado 28
- Cozumel: Forum Shop
- Playa del Carmen: Quinta Avenida
- Puerto Vallarta: beaches
- Tijuana: Avenida Revolucion
What to do:
- There is no easy way to differentiate real from fakes, so ideally, only visit licensed, reputable dealers.
- Alternatively, GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) has some shopping tours where you can engage professionals for help.