How it works:
- There have reportedly been more cases of robberies and carjackings by armed gangs reported on free/libre roads compared to toll roads.
- However, note that carjacking can happen on toll roads as well, especially those in “narco-zones” (e.g. Michoacán, Sinaloa, etc).
Places to beware:
- Acapulco: and other cities/towns in Guerrero state
- Mazatlan: and other cities/towns in Sinaloa state
What to do:
- Use toll roads, keep your doors locked and windows up and do not leave valuables exposed.
- Use a cheap spare wallet with some cash inside which you can give up if threatened.