How it works:
- Situation: taxis here do not cheat by the standard ways (e.g. rigged meters, longhauling).
- Version 1: claiming that they have to stay with you to bring you from your resort to town and back so that they can charge you an inflated fare.
- Version 2: many drivers will bring you to a shop instead of your destination where they get a commission. They will also suggest going to restaurants/bars where they get a cut too.
- Montego Bay, Negril, Ocho Rios: tourist attractions, hotels, airports, transportation hubs
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Montego Bay: Hip Street).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has 20+ transport options.