How it works:
- Street, mall, shop, park: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Beach: where tourists are relaxed, or when they head to the water.
- Car: snatching valuables snatched through a window.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots –Kingston; Montego Bay: Hip Strip)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.