How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: no prices on the menu, or wrong prices on the menu (i.e. adding 10% to every price on top of service charge and tax).
- Version 2: advertising a cheap price but charging differently. To defend themselves, they claim that something additional was added to your dish or drink when it is time to pay.
Places to beware:
- Montego Bay
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Zomato) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform) has a couple of food tours.