How it works:
- Version 1:
- You hand the money changer a stack of notes. He throws it into a stack on his desk and pretends to count them.
- Next, he claims to have received fewer notes than received as he has hidden/dropped a few notes using sleight of hand.
- Version 2:
- The money changer returns fewer notes than required. Should you check and point it out, he will do a recount.
- While doing so, an accomplice distracts you so he can take some notes out of this stack. He then passes you the missing amount, hoping you would not recount the first stack.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Change at official money exchange sites, at the bank, the airport or your hotel reception.
- When changing, watch carefully, and always recount.