How it works:
- Situation: the vast majority of tourists would probably not fall for this but on the off-chance that you do, you need to know how to spot the red flags.
- Version 1: instead of the standard card skimmer, criminals use a deep insert skimmer which is completed hidden from users, and away from the detectors or jammers.
- Version 2: cloning of entire ATMs!
- Version 3: skimming rings here have been known to recruit restaurant or shop staff to skim customers’ credit card.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Where: use ATMs at controlled environments (e.g. banks).
- Scan: the area for suspicious looking characters and red flags of a rigged ATM.
- Cover: your PIN while typing.
- Notify: set up SMS notification when a transaction is processed on your card.
- Bank account: use a separate bank account just for traveling and change your PIN after your trip as scammers can still strike some time after your trip if they have your details.