How it works:
- Version 1: “helping” to collect your money to pass to the ticket counter and then demanding a tip.
- Version 2: posing as an official guide at a tourist attraction and bringing you around, seemingly for free. An inflated tip will be demanded at the end for a low quality “tour”.
Places to beware:
- Antigua: Church of San Francisco
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides – test them for a minute before committing. In general however, they are not worth it. Get a licensed, reputable guide instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed with the INGUAT Tourism commission? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Guatemala City tour, Chichicastenango and Lake Atitlan tour, Antigua tour, etc).