How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Hotel, airport: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- Car/taxi: smashing your window and snatching your valuables at traffic lights, crowded traffic or at carparks.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Guatemala City: zones 1, 3, 6, 18, 21; central market)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.