How it works:
- Version 1: marketing dirt cheap tours but after payment is collected, they disappear, or give you fake or expired tickets.
- Version 2: tours which overcharge, over-promise and under-deliver (e.g. transport, safety, sights seen, activities done).
- Version 3: bringing you somewhere else that looks familiar to save on the entry fee.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. Antigua: the Plaza Central Park)
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed with the INGUAT Tourism commission? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Guatemala City tour, Chichicastenango and Lake Atitlan tour, Antigua tour, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform