How it works:
- Version 1: thieves first slash your tires. When you return to your car or while driving, someone signals for you to stop and to get out of your car. If you do, an accomplice will steal from your car.
- Version 2: criminals have been reported to pose as fake police and set up roadblocks. Once you stop, they rob you.
Places to beware:
- Road from the La Aurora International Airport (to hotels in Guatemala City and Antigua)
- Carretera Salvador – road to border with El Salvador; Crossroad at Fraijanes
- Antigua to Chichicastenango
What to do:
- Avoid driving at night and keep up to date on road conditions with PROVIAL (Directorate General of Road Safety and Protection).
- Keep doors locked, windows up and avoid exposing valuables in your car.
- Stop a distance away before coming to check on your car. If there is any damage, call your car rental company for advice.