How it works:
- Situation: these scam artists will wait at bars/popular drinking spots to pounce on unsuspecting victims. Sometimes though, resort/hotel employees are the ones who do it.
- Opening: they either offer to buy you drinks or join your drinking session. Once you head to the bathroom or when you are distracted, they will slip narcotics into your drink.
- Set-up: once you drink, you may either be robbed or sexually assaulted.
- Methanol poisoning: note however, that it could also be due to methanol poisoning (small amount of methanol can be metabolised into a very toxic substance) from home-made liquor (drink diluted with methanol to keep costs low for the establishment), rather than drink spiking.
Places to beware:
- Puerto Plata
- Punta Cana
What to do:
- Do not accept drinks that you have not seen made in front of you. Do not leave it unattended.
- Canned or bottled drinks are recommended as it is more difficult for someone to put a sedative inside.