How it works:
- Situation: sankies are male gigolos who operate in tourist spots (e.g. bars, hotels, restaurants, beaches). They are master manipulators looking to steal from unsuspecting women.
- Opening: these sankies will try to lure women with their charms and to build a relationship. They will tell you how beautiful you look or how lucky they are to have met you. They will take you out for dances, lunch, dinner dates and parties and even introduce you to their family.
- Set-up: once they established an intimate connection, they will begin exhorting money – e.g asking you to help pay their bills as he has a sick mother, has lost a job, etc. These sankies usually have more than two victims and may try to marry their victims so that they can obtain travel visas. Once they are in the victim’s country, they will end the marriage.
Places to beware:
- Bayahibe: La Romana
- Puerto Plata
- Punta Cana: Bavaro Beach
- Santo Domingo: Boca Chica
What to do:
- Proceed with caution. If money is demanded from you, it is probably a scam.