How it works:
- Version 1: they are generally teenagers here and work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: “Carros publicos” (route taxis), which are banged up cars/minivans/small pick-up trucks) that carry a couple of passengers also see pickpocket cases.
Places to beware:
- Bayahibe: Public beach of Dominicus at Bayahibe
- Puerto Plata: Ocean World Adventure Park, Long Beach, Sosua Beach, Cabarete Beach
- Punta Cana: Juanillo Beach
- Santo Domingo: The 3 Eyes National Park, Zona Colonial, Parque Colon, Boca Chica, Malecon, Santo Domingo Metro, Calle El Conde, Mercado Modelo
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.