How it works:
- Version 1: there are corrupt traffic police who will accuse you of a traffic offence and then ask for a fine on the spot. No receipt will be given.
- Version 2: similar to the fake police officers set-up, corrupt police officers can be involved as well – i.e. someone sets you up by planting a drug in your pockets, and corrupt officers will arrest and fine you.
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.