How it works:
- Scam 1: friendly locals who will try to direct you to overpriced shops where they get a commission.
- Scam 2: tons of touts who peddle overpriced fake goods.
- Scam 3: claim you have to pay a 20 peso fee for parking when it is free.
- Scam 4: overpriced photo taking with animals (e.g. lizards, parrots).
- Scam 5: restaurant and bar scams.
Places to beware:
- Bayahibe: Public beach of Dominicus at Bayahibe
- Puerto Plata: Sosua Beach
- Punta Cana: Macao Beach, Bavaro Beach, Arena Gorda Beach
- Santo Domingo: Boca Chica
What to do:
- Negotiate hard before any service or product is provided.
- If you need to seek recourse, consult the tourist police.