How it works:
- Opening: a helpful local approaches and offers to show you around, or claims that a place is closed due to an annual festival and he knows somewhere better.
- Set-up: what happens is that you will end up visiting a range of shops where he gets a cut, and asked to pay a “tour guide” fee at the end.
Places to beware:
- Baracoa: Playa Blanca
- Havana: Old Havana, Callejón de Hamel, University of Havana
What to do:
- If you want a guide, engage a licensed, reputable tour operator instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Classic American Car tour, Havana tour, Varadero tour, etc).