How it works:
- Version 1: scammers can mix rum of a cheaper new vintage (e.g. 1 year) with rum of an older vintage (e.g 7 years) and pass it off as the older vintage.
- Version 2: you make payment for a bottle of high quality rum, but it gets swapped to a bottle of lower quality rum that is wrapped up.
- Version 3: selling fake rum.
Places to beware:
- Havana: Old Havana, Central Park
- Vinales: Valle de Vinales
What to do:
- Check the seal for any signs of tampering, and check the item even after paying.