How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Camaguey: Coco Beach
- Havana: Old Havana, Old Square (Plaza Vieja), El Morro, El Malecon, Plaza de la Catedral, Playas de Este, Plaza de Armas, Castillo de San Carlos de la Cabana, Calle Obispo, Vedado, Castillo de la Real Fuerza, Callejon de Hamel
- Holguin: Guardalavaca Beach, Hill of the Cross (Loma de la Cruz), Guardalavaca Flea Market
- Trinidad: Ancon Beach
- Varadero: Varadero Beach, Convention Center Plaza America
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.