How it works:
- There have been reports of baggage handlers going through contents of luggage. You will not realize until you have reached your destination which is by then too late.
Places to beware:
- Havana: José Martí International Airport
- Holguin: Frank Pais International Airport
- Varadero: Juan Gualberto Gómez Airport
What to do:
- Luggage: use one with reinforced zippers, as a pen can break zippers of most luggage. Add another layer of deterrence with a portable lock/strap.
- Valuables: store in an anti-theft bag with you instead of in your luggage (easy to break into).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.