How it works:
- Opening: street touts claim that there is a cigar festival today where cigars are sold at a discounted price.
- Set-up: he either tries to sell some to you, or brings you to a shop. The cigars peddled are likely fake and made of banana leaves or tobacco waste.
Places to beware:
- Havana: Old Havana, Centro Habana, Old Square (Plaza Vieja), El Malecon, El Capitolio, University of Havana, Callejon de Hamel, Central Park
- Santa Clara: Club Mejunje
- Santiago de Cuba: Cespedes Park
- Varadero: Varadero Beach, Convention Center Plaza America
- Vinales: Valle de Vinales
What to do:
- If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. However, some may be real but are simply stolen goods.
- Buy at state hotels, official cigar factories, licensed state shops or La Casa del Habano. Real cigars come with an official certificate and are packed in a box with a holographic seal.