How it works:
- Situation: the Buena Vista Social Club (BVSC) was a group of old Cuban musicians playing old fashioned music of pre-revolutionary Cuba which became a hit in the 1990s.
- Opening: although most members have passed on and the club has not performed for years, there are scammers who will invite you to watch a performance by the BVSC.
- Set-up: as there is still time before the “show” starts, they suggest having a drink at a nearby bar. If you agree, you will be made to buy drinks at inflated prices and the scammer will disappear.
Places to beware:
- Havana: Old Havana
What to do:
- If you want to watch a cultural show, engage a licensed, reputable tour operator:
- Offline operators: ask - is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover - is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) has a couple of such tours.