How it works:
- Situation: also known as bicycle taxis, bici taxis are 3 wheeled pedal powered taxis. It costs ~1 CUC/km, but drivers will not take you anywhere for less than 2 CUC.
- Version 1 (overcharging): charging an inflated fare, or claiming at the end of a ride that the initial quoted price is for each person, not for everyone together.
- Version 2 (misrepresenting): driver offers a 1-hour tour covering many attractions for just 5-8 CUC. It is impossible to cover so many in such a short time, so you end up spending 3 hours and your driver will charge you inflated rates for the next 2 hours.
Places to beware:
- Havana: Central Havana, Old Havana
- Santa Clara: Mausoleo del Che Guevara
- Santiago de Cuba: Parque Cespedes
What to do:
- Avoid using unless for short distances.
- Make sure to agree clearly on the price (amount, for everyone and not per pax, currency).