How it works:
- Version 1: unofficial parking attendants claim that there is no parking space left and get you to park a distance away from the real carpark. A fee is then charged for their “guidance”.
- Version 2: claim to be an attendant and charge you a few times more than the actual parking fee or charge you a fee for free parking.
Places to beware:
- Alajuela: Rio Chollin (La Fortuna de San Carlos)
- Limon: Playa Coceles
- Puntarenas: Manuel Antonio National Park, Playa Manuel Antonio, Bridge Over Rio Tarcoles
What to do:
- Use GPS so you can get to the official car park.
- If someone tries to divert you away, look out to see if there is any accident, obstruction or debris ahead. If not, just drive ahead.