How it works:
- At national parks, you may encounter touts who offer to bring you around.
- Some may be good, but what generally transpires is a low quality and/or unsafe tour.
Places to beware:
- Puntarenas: Manuel Antonio National Park, Playa Manuel Antonio, Naturalist Michael Araya Flores (Quepos), Montezuma Falls (Montezuma)
What to do:
- Many national parks have their own licensed guides. Ask to see their credentials or permit before engaging. Else, you can also engage a reputable tour operator:
- Offline operators: ask - is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover - is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Manuel Antonio National Park, Arenal Observatory, Tortuguero National Park, etc).